Dr. Xuefeng Wang’s research of mechanical design and medical robotics are:
1) a remotely-actuated MRI-compatible neurosurgical robotic system has been developed and under testing, where a creative switching mechanism has been invented to reduce the number of ultrasonic motors by half;
2) a bionic hand exoskeleton with a new concept to mimic tendon routing in real hands is designed and in prototyping;
3) a micro soft robotic guidewire is designed and its notched-joint bending behavior is modelled;
4) a SMA-actuated multi-segment guidewire is fabricated and under testing for the use of cardiac surgery in MRI room; and
5) a scalable infinitely variable transmission, or IVT, using an innovative mechanism to change its speed ratio continuously, which can effectively improve mechanical efficiency in robotic and vehicle applications. A robust nonlinear control method of the IVT was developed to achieve fast and stable speed-ratio tracking.
In research of nonlinear dynamics, Wang developed a modified incremental harmonic balance method to increase computational speed by a hundred times as well as to reduce algorithm complexity in solving both lumped and distributed systems with strong nonlinearity and multiple delays. This method has been successfully used in optimization of belt-drive systems and vibration analysis of gear systems.
Honors and Awards
First Place in ASME IDETC 2016 Technical Committee on Vibration and Sound (TCVS) Student Paper Competition
Dissertation Fellowship Award at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County
Best Symposium Paper Award, International Symposium on Medical Robotics, 2019
Wang X, Zhu W, Zhao X, “An Incremental Harmonic Balance Method with a General Jacobian Matrix and a Direct Construction Method in Stability Analysis of Nonlinear Delay Differential Equations,” Journal of Applied Mechanics; 2019, 86(6): 061011
Desai J, Sheng J, Cheng S S, Wang X, Deaton N, Rahman N, “Towards Patient-Specific 3D-Printed Robotic Systems for Surgical Interventions; Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Transactions on Medical Robotics and Bionics,” 2019, 1(2): 77-87
Wang X, Cheng S S, Desai J, “Design, Analysis and Evaluation of a Remotely-Actuated MRI-Compatible Neurosurgical Robotic System,” Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Robotics and Automation Letters; 2018, 3(3): 2144-2151
Sheng J, Wang X, Dickfeld T, Desai J, “Towards the development of a steerable and MRI-compatible cardiac catheter for atrial fibrillation treatment,” Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Robotics and Automation Letters; 2018, 3(4), 4038 – 4045
Wang X, Zhu W, “Design and Stability Analysis of an Integral Time-Delay Feedback Control Combined With an Open-Loop Control for an Infinitely Variable Transmission System,” Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control; 2018, 140(1): 011007