Dr. Saahastaranshu (Saahas) Bhardwaj
- Assistant Professor
Areas of Research
- Multi-hazard evaluation
- Large-scale testing
- Behavior of steel and composite structures
- Space structures / extra-terrestrial habitats
- Special structures (e.g., Nuclear power plants)
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 2018
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 2014
- P.G. Diploma, Metro Rail Transport, Indian Institute of Technology-Delhi, 2010
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh, 2007
Dr. Saahas Bhardwaj’s research focuses on the fundamental behavior of structures under multi-hazard loading. He has conducted large-scale experimental and numerical research subjecting structural members to simultaneous multi-axial /multi-hazard loading.
Some of the research projects he has been involved with are fire resistance of composite plate shear walls (funded by CPF, AISC, and SINY), effect of thermal loads on the seismic behavior of reinforced concrete and steel-plate composite walls (funded by US-DOE NEUP), and behavior of steel-plate composite wall piers under biaxial loading (funded by Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission).
Bhardwaj’s research has resulted in the development of design aids for practicing engineers (e.g., AISC Design Guide 32). The research findings are being considered for inclusion in the specifications (e.g., AISC 360 Appendix 4, AISC N690 Appendix N9, ACI 349 chapters on thermal loads, etc.)
Publications and Patents:
- Booth, P.N., Bhardwaj, S.R., Tseng, T. Varma, A.H. (2020). “Ultimate shear strength of steel-plate composite walls with boundary elements,” Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Elsevier, Volume 165, Feb. 2020.
- Bhardwaj, S.R., Varma, A.H., Orbovic, N. (2019). “Behavior of Steel-plate Composite Wall Piers under Biaxial Loading,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 145, Issue 2, Feb. 2019.
- Sener, K.C., Bhardwaj, S.R., Varma, A.H. (2019). “Effects of Accident Thermal Loading on Shear Behavior of Reinforced Concrete Members,” ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 116, No. 3, May 2019, American Concrete Institute.
- Terranova, B., Bhardwaj, S.R., Whittaker, A., Varma, A.H., Orbovic, N. (2019). “An experimental investigation of the effects of out-of-plane loading on the in-plane seismic response of SC wall piers,” Engineering Structures, Elsevier, Vol. 190, July 2019, pp. 380-388.
- Bhardwaj, S.R., Sener, K.C., Varma, A.H. (2019). “Multi-hazard Investigation and Testing of Steel-plate Composite (SC) Wall Piers: Seismic and Thermal Loads,” Nuclear Engineering and Design, Elsevier, Vol. 348, July 2019, pp. 121-130.
Honors and Awards:
- John E. Goldberg Structures Fellowship, Purdue University, Spring 2018
- College of Engineering Professional Development Grant, Purdue University, Fall 2017
- Merit Scholarship (Tuition Waiver), Punjab Engineering College, 2003-04, 2005-06, 2006-07