Dr. Shashi Nambisan
- Executive Director, Alabama Transportation Institute
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering (Transportation), University of California, Berkeley, 1989
- M.S., Civil Engineering (Transportation), Virginia Tech, 1985
- B.Tech., Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, 1984
Dr. Shashi Nambisan is the inaugural executive director of the Alabama Transportation Institute and a professor of civil engineering at The University of Alabama.
He has more than 30 years of experience and led efforts on more than 170 projects to support decision making that spans the transportation system life cycle. Nambisan has addressed a broad range of transportation topics with safety and data-enabled decision support being a prevailing theme.
At ATI, he leads a variety of research and outreach initiatives. Nambisan heads a team selected for a $16.8 million project to develop and deploy technology-based strategies to enhance capacity, efficiency, and safety.
His students have received numerous scholarships and awards at local, regional and national levels. One of the honors he received is a proclamation by the governor of the state of Nevada designating January 31, 2007, as “Professor Shashi Nambisan Day” in recognition of his leadership role in and contributions to transportation safety.
Publications and Patents:
- Ranjit, K., Cherry, C., Nambisan, S., and Han, L., “Route Choice Model for Bike Share Users from the Real-Time GPS Data,” Journal of the Transportation Research Board, (2016) (DOI: 10.3141/2587-17)
- Dong, C., Nambisan, S., Clarke, D.B., and Sun, J., “Exploring the effects of state highway safety laws and socio-cultural characteristics on fatal crashes,” Traffic Injury Prevention, (2016) (DOI: 10.1080/15389588.2016.1199864)
- Dong, C., Clarke, D.B., Nambisan, S., and Huang, B., “Analyzing disabling and non-disabling injury crashes using random-parameter bivariate regression models,” Transportmetrica A: Transport Science, (2016) (DOI: 10.1080/23249935.2016.1177134)
- Liu, J., Khattak, A.J., Richards, S.H., and Nambisan, S., “What are the differences in driver injury outcomes at highway-rail grade crossings? Untangling the role of pre-crash behaviors,” Accident Analysis & Prevention, 85, pp. 157-69, (2015)
- Vasudevan, V., and Nambisan, S., “Impacts of Energy Regulations and Vehicular Technologies on Fuel Tax Revenues,” Am. Soc. of Civil Engineers Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 20(2), (2014) (DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)IS.1943-555X.0000184)
Honors and Awards:
- Proclamation by Governor Jim Gibbons declaring January 31, 2007 to be the Professor Shashi Nambisan Day in the state of Nevada.
- Best Paper Award in the STEM and Community Engagement category, Engineering Leaders Conference on Engineering Education, Doha, Qatar. November 9-11, 2014.
- Elected President, Council of University Transportation Centers, June 2014 (for 2014-2015)
- Co-author of the Paper selected for the Best Paper award by ITE District 6 for papers published in the ITE Journal in 2007. Nambisan, Shashi S. and Venu Parimi, A Comparative Evaluation of the Safety Performance of Roundabouts and Traditional Intersection Controls. ITE Journal, Institute of Transp Engineers, Washington, D.C. March 2007. Volume 77(3). pp 18-25.
- “Engineer of the Year” Award from the Nevada Chapter of the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE), Engineers Week Banquet, Las Vegas, NV. February 24, 2007.