Dr. Steven Jones
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Virginia, 2001
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Auburn University, 1994
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Auburn University, 1992
Dr. Steven Jones has more than 20 years of transportation engineering and planning experience spanning both academic and private sector consulting appointments. He has participated in transportation projects in the U.S., Europe, Asia, and sub-Saharan Africa.
Jones has served as principal investigator on some $13 million in externally-sponsored projects from a range of funding sources and participated in and/or managed more than $1 million in projects as a consultant. He has authored or co-authored more than 150 journal articles, conferences papers, design manuals, and project reports on a range of transportation topics.
Jones serves on the advisory board of the World Bank-funded African Center of Excellence, the Transport Research and Education Centre Kumasi located at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology in Ghana. He has recently completed a year as Fulbright Scholar conducting road safety research at the Namibia University of Science and Technology.
Jones currently focuses much of his professional efforts exploring how transportation impacts human development (e.g., health and safety, basic accessibility) with particular emphasis on how transportation relates to the Sustainable Development Goals. He is interested and active in cultivating international relationships to facilitate collaborative research, education and technology transfer.
Publications and Patents:
- Jones, S., Lidbe, A., Hainen, A., “What can open access data from India tell us about road safety and sustainable development?” Journal of Transport Geography, 80, 102503, (2019)
- Jones, S., Walsh, J., Høyland, S, “Peace, Transport, and Understanding – A place for Samfunnssikkerhet in African Peacebuilding?” Journal of Peacebuilding and Development, 14(2), pp. 216-221, (2019)
- Jones, S., Tefe, M., Zephaniah, S., Tedla, E., Appiah-Opoku, S., Walsh, J., “Public Transport and Health Outcomes in Rural Sub-Saharan Africa – A Synthesis of Literature and Professional Opinion,” Journal of Transportation and Health, 3(2), pp. 211-19, (2016)
- Li, P., Jones, S., “Vehicle restrictions and CO2 emissions in Beijing – A simple projection using available data,” Transportation Research Part D, 41, pp. 467-476, (2016)
- Jones, S., Tefe, M., Appiah-Opoku, S., “Proposed Framework for Sustainability Screening of Urban Transport Projects in Developing Countries,” Transportation Research Part A, 49, 21-34, (2013)
Honors and Awards:
- 2019 Excellence in Research and Innovation Award, University of Alabama, CCE Department
- 2018-2019 Fulbright U.S. Scholar Award, Namibia
- 2011 Donald H. McLean Civil Engineering Professor of the Year Award, University of Alabama