Dr. Xiangrong Shen
Areas of Research
- Dynamic Systems and Control
- Assistive and Rehabilitation Robotics
- Robotic Lower-Limb Prostheses
- Power-Assist Exoskeletons and Orthoses
- Legged and Wheeled Robots for Human Assistance
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Vanderbilt University, 2006
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Nebraska – Lincoln, 2003
- B.E., Mechanical Engineering and Automation, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China, 1998
Dr. Xiangrong Shen is a professor in the department of mechanical engineering at The University of Alabama, where he has been a faculty member since 2008. He received his doctorate in mechanical engineering from Vanderbilt University in 2006, and subsequently completed a two-year postdoctoral training in rehabilitation robotics, also at Vanderbilt.
Professor Shen’s research is focused on assistive and rehabilitation robotics, and the specific topics include robotic lower-limb prostheses, portable power-assist lower-limb orthoses, and legged/wheeled robotic platforms for assistive and therapeutic purposes. His research has been supported by multiple NSF and NIH grants, including an NSF CAREER award in 2014.
He served as an associate editor for the journal of Control Engineering Practice from 2008 to 2014, and currently, he is an advisory board member of the Alabama Life Research Institute.
Publications and Patents:
- Zheng, H., Shen, T., Afsar, M.R., Kang, I., Young, A.J. and Shen, X., 2019, June. A Semi-Wearable Robotic Device for Sit-to-Stand Assistance. In 2019 IEEE 16th International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR)(pp. 204-209). IEEE.
- Shen, T., Afsar, M.R., Haque, M.R., McClain, E., Meek, S. and Shen, X., 2019, June. A Human-assistive Robotic Platform with Quadrupedal Locomotion. In 2019 IEEE 16th International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR)(pp. 305-310). IEEE.
- Wu, M., Haque, M. R., & Shen, X. (2017). Obtaining Natural Sit-to-Stand Motion with a Biomimetic Controller for Powered Knee Prostheses. Journal of Healthcare Engineering, 2017.
- Wu, M. and Shen, X. (2017) “Design and preliminary testing of a self-contained knee prosthesis with pneumatic actuation.” International Journal of Robotics and Automation, 32(2), DOI: 10.2316/Journal.206.2017.2.206-4616.
- Zheng, H., Wu, M., & Shen, X. (2016). Pneumatic Variable Series Elastic Actuator. Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, 138(8), 081011.
Honors and Awards:
- CAREER award, National Science Foundation, 2014.
- Best paper award, IEEE International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics, 2007.
- Finalist, ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Division Best Student Paper Competition, 2005.