Distinguished Engineering Fellows
Each year, the College of Engineering inducts a select group of alumni and friends as Distinguished Engineering Fellows. Recognition as a Distinguished Fellow is the highest commendation given to graduates and others who have strengthened the reputation of the College of Engineering through their efforts.
Learn more about Distinguished Engineering Fellows Throughout the Years.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
For consideration as a Distinguished Engineering Fellow, the nomination, including supporting materials must address the eligibility requirements as well as the selection criteria. All nominations must be submitted on the nomination form in order to be considered.
Nominees must have been associated with The University of Alabama in one or more of the following ways:
- As a graduate of one of the degree granting programs of the College of Engineering of The University of Alabama. If a graduate of UA degree granting program, the nominee must have been selected as a department fellow.
- As a faculty or staff person who was (or is) associated with the College of Engineering.
- As an individual, who by action or deed, has brought recognition, support, or honor of significant magnitude to the College of Engineering.
The criteria for selection by the Fellows Committee are as follows:
- The degree to which the engineering/scientific/technological/personal contributions or achievements have significantly added to the body of knowledge, and/or to the processes that cultivate innovation and invention, which when applied, serve to enhance the quality of life, and, therefore, elevated the stature of the College of Engineering, the specific engineering/scientific/technological profession at The University of Alabama.
- The magnitude of the impact that the contributions or achievements have had on the engineering/scientific/technological profession, and on the technological and economic development in Alabama, the region, the nation and the world.
Noteworthy achievements and contributions may be evidenced by publications, patents, reports, theses/dissertation or other documentation. The degree to which a person has contributed to the profession, has made personal progress and has brought honor and recognition upon himself/herself, the profession and The University of Alabama are also significant factors considered by the Fellows Committee. The selection is neither linked to the possession of any degree nor contingent upon belonging to any organization.
Normally, these criteria will be met by those demonstrating a long and continuing effort of significant achievement.
Nomination forms for the Distinguished Engineering Fellows Class of 2017 must be submitted by Sept. 1, 2016. Download the nomination form, complete and print it, then mail to College of Engineering, Dean’s Office, Box 870200, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487. Call 800-333-8156, if you have any questions regarding the nomination form.